Thursday, June 21, 2012

Finding Balance

Finding a balance between maintaining a social life and a healthy lifestyle can be one of the most difficult things to do deal with. It is something that I at times find to be most challenging. So how do you deal??? It's all about moderation and realizing that friends, family, holidays and social events are going to happen but that doesn't mean we need to sacrifice our hard work or goals in order to have both. Here are a few tricks that I use to help me make things work...

Meeting with a friend during the day? Stick with active things like going to the mall, beach, park, mini golf ... whatever but it makes it easier to avoid a situation where you are forced to eat something that maybe you shouldn't

Go to a coffee shop instead ice cream like starbucks. They have tons of sweet options for your friends but you can stick with a sugar free coffee or even an ice green tea/ ice passion tea (my absolute favorite!) They even have some serving size of mixed nuts or organic granola bars if you're looking for a healthy snack.

When going out to dinner, suggest places that you've been to this way you know the menu and you have a set plan going in. There is a restaurant around my area that I know serves steak kabobs. I always order them with no butter, seasoning (salt) and I get unsalted edamame. It feels like a cheat but I know this fits into my healthy lifestyle (bonus theres enough steak for two meals!)

If you have a movie date, don't be afraid to bring your own food (the popcorn is a deal breaker!) rice cakes(mini's or crumble up whole ones), protein pancakes!, protein bars, cucumber/celery sticks, mixed nuts even edamame in the pods (keeps you occupied)

One of my other favorite things is seltzer water! The carbonation makes me feel like I'm having something more than just water (even though I do love water)

Do you have tips/tricks that help you find balance? Email me @ lovehardliftheavy@gmail.com and I'll add them to the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment